Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks



If you've read a Nicholas Sparks book, you know you're in for an emotional ride, and his latest, The Longest Ride, did not disappoint. The story is told from three perspectives, Ira, Sophia, and Luke.

In the first chapter, we meet Ira who is a ninety one year man currently in a bad position - literally, he is trapped in his car after going through a guardrail on an icy highway. Clearly injured, he begins to see his wife Ruth in the car with him, but Ruth died nine years earlier. In an effort to get Ira to stay alert, Ruth helps him recount their love and life story, including how they came to be rather great art collectors.

In the second chapter, we meet Sophia, who is a college senior struggling after a recent breakup. Her roommate, Marcia, convinces her to go to a rodeo where she meets Luke. Luke changes everything for Sophia.

There is always a character in Sparks' books with a secret. In this novel, it is Luke with the secret. I won't go into that because I don't want to spoil it, but I will say that I didn't see it coming at all, and I think I actually gasped out loud when I read it. It was that good and unexpected.

I love alternating perspectives. I think they (usually) work really well, and allow the reader to feel a wider range of emotions because you can connect with the characters differently.

The only issue I had with this book was the ending. I kind of felt like everything got wrapped up nicely with a perfect little bow. It was almost too perfect of an ending, especially for a Nicholas Sparks book. I was expecting some sort of twist at the end, but it never came. It was still a great book, and one of my favourites by him.

It's being made into a movie (this is a huge trend with all of Sparks' books now), and I am definitely a sucker for the movies so I'll be checking it out for sure.

Four of of five stars based on Goodreads rating system.

No comments:

Post a Comment