Wednesday, November 6, 2013

three mini reviews.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16279773-about-a-girl
 
About a Girl by Lindsey Kelk
 
 
This was such a fun read. It opens with Tess in the middle of a very large life crisis, and then leads into how she ended up in that position. Taking a phone call meant for her roommate, Tess ends up photographing a fashion spread in Hawaii. Oh, and she's not a photographer, and her name definitely isn't Vanessa. Yeah, maybe it was a bit far-fetched, but who cares? Sometimes it's fun to lose yourself in the impossible and just enjoy a book. Besides, who hasn't wanted to try on someone else's life at least once? I have.

I found myself relating to Tess a lot. Things she'd say or do were definitely things I'd have said/done myself. The things I didn't like about Tess were things that I don't like in myself, which was an interesting revelation while reading.

I liked the friendship between Paige and Tess, but especially between Amy and Tess. I think everyone needs a friend that they can be completely honest with, and who can tell you when you're being a pain in the butt.

I'm excited that there's another book coming in the summer of 2014, as I'm very excited to see where Tess ends up next. I hope she chooses to continue her unpredictable adventures.
Four out of five stars based on Goodreads rating system.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8909152-attachments
 
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
 
This was a fun, quirky read. I think quirky is a good way to describe a Rainbow Rowell book to someone who hasn't read one. That being said, I mean quirky in the best way possible. Rowell's characters all seem so very human, which can be difficult to portray properly. They're flawed, but in ways we're all flawed. This book left me feeling happy and all warm and fuzzy.
Four out of five stars based on Goodreads rating system.
 
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15737844-the-life-list
 
The Life List by Lori Nelson Spielman
 
I liked it so much that I read it in one night. Proper review to come when it's not almost midnight.

Update: Brett's mom has just died and Brett is obviously devastated. Brett assumes she'll be named CEO of her mother's very successful cosmetics company, so no one is more shocked when Brett is not only not named CEO, but is fired by her sister-in-law who does become the CEO. In order to receive her inheritance, Brett's mother has left Brett a Life List that she wrote as a teenage. Brett must complete all the items on the list within one year, or else she won't get her inheritance. Sound easy? It could be if the list didn't include such items as have a baby, fall in love, and have a relationship with her deceased father. Throw in a hot lawyer, and you've got yourself a story.

I really loved this book. Sometimes all you need is a strong push to live your life the way you've always wanted to. I think we all get a little complacent in our lives; going through the motions of our home life, career, and everything else. This book takes the reader away from all of that. It was a nice escape read, and one I'd recommend to anyone needing to escape their own life for a little while, but without the whole changing your entire life thing.
 
Five out of five stars based on Goodreads rating system.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment