Monday, December 16, 2013

End of the Year Book Survey!

 
Since this is my first year with a book blog, I thought I'd participate in The Perpetual Page-Turner's End of Year Book Survey. It sounded like a really fun way to go back over what I've read this year. Let's get started!
 
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? This question is far too difficult, so I'm going to break it down into genres.
Adult Contemporary: The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. Jodi Picoult is definitely one of my favourite authors. Her books always suck me in and don't let me go, even after the book is finished. 
 
Young Adult: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I didn't expect to love this book as much as I did.
 
Thriller/Mystery: This has to be a tie between Reconstructing Amelia, and If You Find Me. I loved all three books I read by Chevy Stevens, too. I suck at picking just one book per question!
 
Non-Fiction: Brain in Fire: My Month of Madness. This book was terrifying because it was true. What happened to Susannah could happen to anyone. How scary is that?!

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? Fly Away by Kristin Hannah. I LOVED Firefly Lane, but Fly Away kind of fell flat for me, and I was really disappointed. It was still a good book, and I'd recommend reading it if you loved Firefly Lane, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? The Apple Orchard by Susan Wiggs. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013? Probably the Chevy Stevens books that I lent to my mom because I know she likes thrillers.

5. Best series you discovered in 2013? Lindsey Kelk has another book following Tess coming out, so I guess that's considered a series. It also looks like the Cormoran Strike books are going to become a series.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013? Chevy Stevens,  and Lindsey Kelk

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you? A Christmas Carol. I don't read a lot of classics, so this was definitely out of my comfort zone. You can't go wrong with Dickens.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013? Reconstructing Amelia, If You Find Me, Always Watching, Still Missing, basically every thriller I read.
 
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? I don't really re-read books often. The only books I tend to re-read are the Harry Potter books.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013? Dash & Lily's Book of Dares. So wintery, so fun.

11. Most memorable character in 2013? Tris Prior

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013? The Silver Star. It read like prose.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? It may be cheating a bit because I'm currently reading it, but Wild by Cheryl Strayed is leaving an impact on me.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? Insurgent. I don't know why I waited so long, but it might of been because I hate waiting forever for the next books in a series.
 
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013? From Allegiant: “I fell in love with him. But I don't just stay with him by default as if there's no one else available to me. I stay with him because I choose to, every day that I wake up, every day that we fight or lie to each other or disappoint each other. I choose him over and over again, and he chooses me.”  It spoke to me.

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013? Longest: Allegiant, though the print was pretty big so it may not be accurate. Shortest: A Christmas Carol.
 
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!: I guess that scene from Allegiant.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc). Romantic: Reena and Sawyer from How to Love, Cath and Levi from Fangirl, and Alex and Leo from The F-It List.
Friendship: Alex and Becca from The F-It List, and Cath and Reagan from Fangirl.
Family: Carey and Jenessa from If You Find Me.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously: The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult.
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else? Probably How to Love. I kept seeing it recommended everywhere, so I had to check it out for myself. That, or Fangirl. Both books were everywhere, but they didn't disappoint.
 
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013? Adult contemporary, for sure. Lots of YA, too.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013? I don't have one.
23. Best 2013 debut you read? How to Love, or Someday, Someday Maybe.
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013? Insurgent and Allegiant.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013? Fangirl, any of the thrillers I read, Let it Snow, and Dash and Lily's Book of Dares.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013? Henry's Sisters. Read it. You'll fall in love with Henry.

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out? I've only just started hearing more about If You Find Me, which I think more people need to read.

 
 
 
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014? The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I just haven't touched this yet because I'm trying to reach my 50 book pledge goal, but it's on the top of my list.
 
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)? What a Girl Wants by Lindsey Kelk, the next Cormoran Strike novel, Landline, & That Night by Chevy Stevens.

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? Hm, I don't actually know!
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014? I have a few next books in a series on my list, but I don't think they're the end of the series.
 
5. One Thing You Hope to Accomplish or Do in Your Reading/Blogging in 2014? Set up a better blogging schedule! One that isn't so random and all over the place.

This was fun! It was interesting to go back over my Goodreads and see what I read early in the year. It's easy to forgot those early in the year reads, but I definitely read some good ones early on. This will definitely be a survey I come back and do every year.

2 comments:

  1. Jodi Picoult is one of my favourite authors too. I own all her books and I am always waiting for her next one. I still haven't read any Rainbow Rowell, something I really need to do soon. Great answers. My End of Year Survey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Jodi Picoult is just fantastic. There's still some of her older ones that I haven't gotten to yet, but I kind of feel like I'm saving them :). Definitely give Rainbow Rowell a chance!

      Delete