Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Book Review: The Storied Life of A.J Fikry

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18244904-the-storied-life-of-a-j-fikry

I requested this on NetGalley, and I'm so glad I was able to read it because it's such a great story. I thought it was a fun, easy read and think book lovers everywhere would enjoy it.

AJ Fikry is a bookseller who has recently lost his wife Nic, and is still trying to help heal himself with his books and some alcohol. One night a beloved, and very valuable, book goes missing during one of his drunken episodes. The next day, he finds a little girl alone in his bookstore with just a note and a diaper bag. AJ ends up adopting the girl, Maya, and this is where the story really begins. It follows AJ and Maya as they navigate each other, love, and the small island of Alice.

AJ was a great character. A little bit grumpy, but also full of love and kindness. After all, it does take a special person to adopt a toddler. Maya was also a great character. Precocious, and wise beyond her years with a love of reading. You wouldn't think a grumpy guy like AJ would handle a toddler very well, but you'd be surprised.

I liked the small twists the story had because they were unexpected, but they worked well. I'm glad that we got the back story on Maya's mother, too, because I think the story would have felt like it was missing something without it.

Before each chapter, there is a little blurb about a book written by AJ. They seem like just blurbs, but once the reason he was writing them became clear, it was emotional.

I found it funny that AJ had such an adverse reaction to ereaders, when I was reading this on my Kobo ereader. AJ would NOT be pleased with me, but he couldn't be too mad because I do still buy and read actual books.

Definitely check this one out. It's quirky, fun, and will leave you with a smile on your face (and maybe some tear stains on your cheeks).  It will be available in April of this year. Keep an eye out for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment