Monday, September 7, 2015

Always the Bridesmaid by Lindsey Kelk

Have you read anything by Lindsey Kelk yet? Because if you haven't, you definitely need to get to it!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25403560-always-the-bridesmaid


From Goodreads: Everyone loves a bridesmaid.
Except Maddie, who’s perpetually asked to be one.
Everyone loves a wedding.
Except Maddie’s best friend, who’s getting divorced.
And everyone loves the way Maddie’s so happy backstage.
Except Maddie herself.
One best friend is in wedding countdown while the other heads for marriage meltdown. And as Maddie juggles her best chance at promotion in years with bridezilla texts and late-night counselling sessions, she starts to wonder – is it time to stop being the bridesmaid?


My thoughts: Kelk is definitely on her game in this new book! If you've read Kelk then you already know that her books are funny, but this one was hilarious. Definitely the funniest book I've read in a while. What I like about her books is that, while funny, they're also real. Her characters are certainly flawed, but in a way that you or I are flawed.

Maddie is sick and tired of being walked on by her friends, family, and work, but is too nice to speak up and say much about it until she's had enough. I found her family to be really frustrating, her sister especially. I can't even remember her name because I was so annoyed with her. The only one who had any sort of redeeming quality was her brother, and even he was a bit of a wanker. Side note, Kelk's books always make me start using British slang. This is not a bad thing.

Maddie's best friends, Sarah and Lauren were also frustrating, but to a lesser degree. I really liked Sarah and her situation made me really sad because who wants to go through a divorce in your early 30s?  She was cynical (obviously) and sarcastic, and I always appreciate good sarcasm. I'd like to read a book with Sarah as the main character. I didn't like Lauren as much because I found her selfish and spoiled, but we all have friends like that. Unless you are that friend, in which case you probably don't even know it. Now you're wondering if you're that friend.

There is, of course, romance in this book. Maddie has a one night stand with Will, which turns into lots of one night stands with him. She can't get him to commit to anything more than bedroom fun, and naturally, can't see the other guy who would be perfect for her. I liked the romance in the book, but it wasn't my favourite part.

Maddie is an events assistant for a large PR firm and has been in the same position for the last 10 years. Her boss is an absolute nightmare and even Satan wouldn't want to work for her. An opportunity for a promotion comes up at work, and Maddie is forced into applying. This is where things got really fun because Maddie is put in full charge of planning a baby welcoming party for a gay couple with extravagant requests. As you can imagine, things don't go so well. This was one of my favourite scenes, and had me laughing like a moron alone on my balcony:


There was a lot of growth for Maddie in the book, and I was excited when she finally started to stick up for herself and refuse to make everyone else happy. It's hard to always be on for everyone else, especially when they don't appreciate it. It was refreshing to see her argue with her friends and finally tell them off because they really needed to hear it.

I loved the very end with all the IMs, emails, and texts, and wished those had been scattered throughout the entire book. I love when authors add little things like that to a story.

If you're looking for something hilarious and light, but with real, flawed characters, check out any of Lindsey Kelk's books. I'm still making my way through her books because I don't want to run out of them. 5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment