Saturday, October 31, 2015

October Wrap-Up!



It's been far too long (again). I don't know what it is about this time of year, but I seem to go through a bit of a slow reading phase. I had computer problems at the beginning of the month, which left me without a computer for about a week. I also got sick, and didn't read or do much other than work that week.

This month I read 6 novels and 1 graphic novel, which is definitely less than usual for me.

Dumplin' by Julie Murphy - This was a great book, and had an important message, but I did have some problems with the main character, Dumplin'. At times, she seemed very judgemental for someone who is aware of being judged for most of her life. She was flawed for sure, which made her more relatable, but I did find myself a little annoyed at her at times. Her relationship with her mother made me a bit sad, too.  I gave it 4 stars because despite my issues, I really enjoyed it.

Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson - I loved this book. Jenny Lawson is the face behind the massively popular The Bloggess. She openly suffers from mental illness and is not ashamed of it. She is an important advocate, and I think more people need to be aware of who she is. Her book was hilarious. I actually had tears running down my face at times, and read a few passages to my husband (who thought I was nuts, but laughed). While it's hilarious, it's also important and sad, and an eye-opener for those who perhaps don't suffer in the same way. 5 out of 5 stars.

Night Film by Marisha Pessl - I read this book in two days. Partly because my computer was dead at that point, and I was on vacation from work with not much else to do, but partly because I couldn't put it down. I really loved the format. There were articles, webpages, photos, police reports, and other random things scattered throughout, and that's honestly one of my favourite things to find in books. I did find that it dragged a little at times, which is why I gave it four stars, but this story gets into your head and does not leave until after you're finished.

What a Girl Wants by Lindsey Kelk - This is book two in her A Girl series (the final book comes out November 10th), and I liked it a lot. Tess is most definitely flawed, but I find obviously flawed characters relatable. She's hilarious and crass, and is torn between two men. This takes place mostly in Milan and should be read in the sun with a drink in your hand. 4 stars.

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Generation Why by G. Willow Wilson - I liked this volume more than volume 1 because more was revealed about her powers and how she came to have them. Also, Wolverine! 3 stars.

Pretending to Dance by Diane Chamberlain - This was pretty good, but not my favourite Chamberlain book. I think I would have liked it better had I not figured out the ending within the first few pages. Molly believes her mother murdered her father when she was a child and hasn't spoken to her since. She and her husband are in the process of adopting a child, which brings up her past. I did like how it was told, alternating between the past and present, but I had a hard time connecting with Molly, and like I said, I'd already figured it out. 3.5 stars.

Hold Tight by Harlan Coben - This was a quick read, and one I enjoyed, but it was a little unbelievable at times. I like Coben's ability to take suburban life and make it terrifying, because let's be honest, real life can be quite scary at times. 3 stars.

I'm currently reading Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine, which is pretty good so far. I'm still not in a huge reading mood, so who knows how long it will take me to finish.

Like I mentioned, this was a slow month. Tomorrow brings November, which already has me super excited to start reading Christmas books. I've been excited since, like, August. My TBR for the next two months will be full of fun Christmas reads. Do you have any favourite Christmas books? I always love recommendations.

Since today is Halloween, I'll end with a photo montage of my cats as pretty princesses last year, including our very male cat, Ollie. This year, they're a shark but they're even less co-operative and I value having fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment