Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Looking Ahead

It's December 9th, and I am about 5.2ish books away from hitting 100 books. My original goal was 50, and as soon as I hit that, something internal in me yelled that I needed to change my goal to 100. Well, now here I sit only a few short weeks away from the end of the year and I'm panicking. It's ridiculous and completely self-imposed. My Goodreads widget is still at 50, so it's not screaming at me every time I log in, but I'm still feeling the pressure. Part of me just wants to say 'screw it' and just read and see where I end up, but the other part is saying 'nope, must hit 100 or else.' Or else what, I don't know. Internal damnation?

The last few days I've been toying with the idea of having no reading challenges at all next year. That thought both excites and scares me. I like having something to strive for, but I'm not liking this last minute pressure. I've also been thinking of setting it at 50 and then leaving it the heck alone when/if I do hit 50. I know myself well enough that if I hit 50, I will automatically strive for 75, then 100, then whatever comes next and that's exactly what I don't want to do. I was also thinking of doing a different kind of challenge instead, like Popsugar's challenge here, but being a mood reader, I don't know how well that would go.

My husband and I have some personal things we'd like to accomplish next year. Whether they happen or not is not entirely in our hands, so I don't know with much certainty what 2016 is going to look like for us. That being said, if 'it' happens (sorry, not trying to be elusive, we're just not talking about 'it' with anyone in our lives right now...I'm sure you can guess), then I don't know how my reading will be affected.

Since my brain is such a nice thing, it's currently trying to get me to read The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, which would be fine if it wasn't 1443 pages! My brain simultaneously wants me to succeed and fail.

What I'm trying to say is that I have no idea what I'm going to do next year because my mind is a lovely place to be. What do you do in terms of challenges? Are there any other challenges you know of out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment