Thursday, January 7, 2016

2015 Reading Survey!

I love doing the end of year survey written by Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner every year. It's a fun way to review the books you read this year. I read a lot of great and not-so great books this year.

Number of books you read: 100! I read the most books I've ever read this year, which is pretty exciting. I also branched out and tried audio books and graphic novels, which I'm very pleased with myself for doing.
Number of re-reads: 3, and they were all Harry Potter books.
Genre you read the most from: I read a lot of contemporary and a lot of fantasy this year. I read more fantasy this year than ever before.

1. Best Book You Read In 2015?
Adult contemporary: Me Before You by JoJo Moyes.
Historical fiction: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. I was so happy to see this book win a Goodreads Choice Award.
YA contemporary: Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen and All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. Also I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios. I can't pick just one!
YA fantasy/retelling: An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir. Can't wait for the next book!
Thriller/mystery: The Blue by Lucy Clarke and Those Girls by Chevy Stevens

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige was massively disappointing. I didn't love The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins as much as I thought I would, but I think that was because of the hype.

 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?  
Night Film by Marisha Pessl. I was so drawn into this book and basically didn't put it down for two days.

 4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?I pushed Lindsey Kelk's books quite a bit this year, such as the I Heart series and Always the Bridesmaid. Her books are always hilarious and fun to read.

 5. Best series you started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015?The Falling Kingdoms series by Morgan Rhodes is fantastic so far. I also started and finished The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer and loved it. I started a few other series that only have the first book out so far. I'm excited for the next ones in the series, like An Ember in the Ashes and A Court of Thorns and Roses, and The Seven Sisters by Lucinda Riley.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015?
 Colleen Hoover. I have a love/hate relationship with her books.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?The Martian by Andy Weir. It was more science fiction than I usually read, but I loved it.

 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?Any and all of the fantasy/thriller/mystery books I read.

 9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
 Honestly, probably the Harry Potter books again.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015?
Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson because who doesn't like a taxidermy raccoon named Rory?

11. Most memorable character of 2015?I'm still thinking about Will Traynor.

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015?
The Little Bookshop on the Seine by Rebecca Raisin was beautifully descriptive of Paris.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015?
The non-fiction books I read, such as Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes, Big Magic by Liz Gilbert, and The Lost Girls.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read? 
Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I wasn't sure that they'd be 'me' books, but I liked them a lot.

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015?
I'm kicking myself for not making any notes on quotes/passages this year.

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015?
Shortest was Ms. Marvel, Vol. 3: Crushed at 112 pages and longest was Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon at 1,070 pages.

 17. Book That Shocked You The MostEach book in The Falling Kingdoms series. Don't ever think your favourite characters are safe because Rhodes is ruthless.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
All the pairings in The Lunar Chronicles. I sound like a broken record, but it's true.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
The female friendships in both of Emery Lord's books.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Always The Bridesmaid by Lindsey Kelk.

21. Best Book You Read In 2015That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
The Martian, The Girl on the Train, and probably other new releases.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015?
I don't really have a fictional crush, but probably Jamie Fraser from the Outlander series.
 
23. Best 2015 debut you read?
An Ember in the Ashes.
 
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas or The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkowski.
 
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Anything by Lindsey Kelk. Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard.
 
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015?
ME BEFORE YOU. That book hurt my soul.
 
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
The Lost Girls by Jennifer Baggett, Holly C. Corbett, and Amanda Pressner was a non-fiction book about three friends traveling. I loved it so much, but it did nothing for my wanderlust.
 
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Me Before You, again. I'm sorry, but that book killed me.
 
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015?
An Age of License by Lucy Knisley is a travel memoir drawn and illustrated by the author. It was fantastic.
 
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
All The Rage by Courtney Summers definitely gave me all the rage, but I really liked the book.

Looking Ahead to 2016

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016?
Ahh, so many. I don't even know if I can pick!

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)? When We Collided by Emery Lord and The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson. I also just learned that Jodi Picoult has a new one out in October and I NEED IT.
 
3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I went through my shelves and couldn't pick any out. I'm sure I have one and I've just forgotten to shelve it.
 
 4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016?
I don't think any of my series are ending this year.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016?
I want to read 50 books, and I want to read what I want to read. I don't want to feel pressured to read certain books. In my blogging life, I want to blog more and write different types of posts.

6. A 2016 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
I haven't finished it yet, but I'm currently reading Dark Territory by Susan Philpott and I think everyone should read the first book, Blown Red, and then read this one.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful answers! This survey always takes us so long to complete every year, I feel we should all be awarded a medal just for completing it! I really want to read Me Before You, I have heard so many good things about that book. Although I am sure it will probably make me cry... A LOT. I adored All the Bright Places, although I read it back in 2014 so it didn't make my survey this year. I was disappointed by Girl on the Train too, it definitely didn't live up to the massive hype surrounding it. I LOVED The Martian, that was probably my top read of the year and I was so surprised, as it isn't my usual genre either.

    Great answers :) I hope you have a great 2016 and reading year! Here is my survey, if you want to check out my answers :)

    ReplyDelete