Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Penguin Canada graciously provided me with a copy of this book, so thank you Penguin Canada!

Jodi Brett is a psychologist who spends her days counselling others in their problems, all the while ignoring her cheating common-law husband. Todd Gilbert is a man trying to have a wife, and a girlfriend at the same time, until it all blows up in his face.

The premise is great, and I really wanted to love this book, I really did, but I didn't. I kept reading all these comparisons to Gillian Flynn's 'Gone Girl', and I'm sorry to say, it's not a fair comparison. Flynn's book had me captivated the whole time, while this book had me kind of bored at times. I'm disappointed that I didn't love it, because it definitely sounded like my type of book.

It's obvious that A.S.A Harrison wrote non-fiction before she dabbled in fiction. The book almost reads like a non-fiction in that there's little dialogue at times and it's very descriptive. It made it hard to connect with the characters, which made it even harder to connect to the story. I didn't hate the book, there were parts I enjoyed. I have a BA in psychology, so her sessions with her therapist and her clients were really interesting to me. I know more about Adler and Jung than I really want to know, but those parts of the book were probably my favourite.

 I find it hard to like a book when I can't connect with any of the characters, which is what my problem with was this book. I didn't like anyone in the book. They were all boring, mechanical, and it was difficult to feel any sort of empathy for them.

So, if you liked ‘Gone Girl’, I would say tread carefully with this one. It’s nothing like ‘Gone Girl’, but it does have its own merits. Don't go into it expecting the next 'Gone Girl', and I'm sure you'll really like it.

 I give it 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment